Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Open-faced Burgers

Here I was with another pound of hamburger meat staring me in the face.  My stomach was stroganoff'd-, and spaghetti with meat sauced-out, and meat loaf would take too long.  I was starving.  Tacos and burgers seemed boring, and chili... well, see my above note on length of cook time.

There was an episode of "Man v Food" where Adam went to some dive in some town and they had these curious-looking burgers.  They were very thin, with onions mashed into them as they cooked.  It looked delicious.  Thankfully, my pound of hamburger and my angry stomach somehow pulled this episode from the recesses of my brain.  It was delicious-- salty and cheesy and most importantly, onion-y.  I imagine next time I will try doing this method with sliders :-)

Ingredients:

1 lb ground meat (I used 80/20)
1 medium onion, minced as small as possible
2 thick slices of whole wheat bread (try this bread)
Butter
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 avocado
salt and pepper

Sprinkle salt and pepper into the meat and mash it up.  Using about 1/8 lb at a time, make very thin patties that almost don't stay together when picked up.
On a hot skillet, make small piles of onion.  Place the thin patties on top and sprinkle a few more onion pieces.  Using a spatula, press the patties down into the onion.  Cook 1-2 min each side in this manner.
Melt cheese over patties.
In another pan, melt about 1-2 T butter.  Cook the bread in it until all the butter is absorbed.
Mash 1/2 an avocado over each slice of bread.  Sprinkle salt over avocado.
Layer about 3 patties on each slice of bread.
Enjoy!

Oh and BTW my stomach was no longer angry at me!

No comments:

Post a Comment