Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Daily Green Juice

I'm going to admit it.  I got a nasty hand fungus.  I believe it survived a lot of natural and unnatural selection at a laboratory where I was growing some worms for science.  We had to put antifungals in the growth media, although these chemicals did not work for every fungus.  We had a rampant fungus outbreak just about the time I got this cute "pet."  That was over a year ago.  I tried the OTC stuff, but as you can imagine, it didn't work.  This wasn't a garden-variety animal.  Fortunately, it does not seem to be contagious.  Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to get rid of it with pharmaceuticals.  I eventually gave up for awhile when my chiropractor noticed it.  She recommended many different things, all of which I tried and am still trying.  They are seeming to work, which is good.  One offhand comment she made, though, made me go overboard and sent my hand into a state which I was not sure it would return from.  Fortunately, it did.

She said, "oh, garlic will kill just about anything."  This, I thought, was the answer! After a few weeks of trying a little shaved garlic on it here and there, I saw it improving drastically.  Well, if a little works, then a lot will get rid of it once and for all! Right? I grated the garlic all over the rash and wrapped it in medical tape.  Six hours later, I took the tape off and it was the most disgusting rash I had ever seen.  There were actual boils.  I have never seen a real boil before.  If you want to see a picture, look here.  I am not going to assume everyone can stomach something like that.  I personally thought it looked pretty cool, being a science nerd, but it was definitely the grossest thing I have witnessed in real life.

So the next thing my chiropractor said to me was "don't do that again.  Let's take a gentle approach."  Gentle approach does not quite go with my personality, but my sledgehammer angle definitely made things ugly.  I'm pretty sure I pissed off my fungus with all that garlic. She suggested my low sugar/ increased greens diet.  She recommended a juice of kale, green apple, celery, and ginger twice per day.  This is much more palatable than the carrot, garlic, ginger, celery, and onion juice I was making.  I drink this morning and night, and make sure I have some greens in-between.  It's still hard, but my hand has improved drastically in the three weeks I have been doing this.

So without further ado:

1 cup kale
2 stalks celery
1 quarter-sized round of ginger about 1/4" thick
1/4 organic green apple
1/3 cup water


Juice all ingredients and pour the water in last to get every drop of juice out.  Pour into a cup and skim the foam off.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment